The Blue Jackets and Blue Jackets Foundation team up with Communities in Schools annually to “adopt” a Central Ohio inner-city school.
School Partner: Arlington Park Elementary
Principal: Jul'Yanna M. Collier
- Blue Jackets Foundation Panther Park playground build
- Charity ticket block
- Blue Jackets Pen Pal Program
- Blue Jackets representatives as Career Day presenters & award assemblies guest speakers
- Donuts with Dad and Muffins with Mom hosted by Blue Jackets wives
- Holiday party for pen pals
- End of the year cookout
- Tours at Nationwide
- Street hockey team
Communities In Schools
Communities In Schools is the nation’s leading community-based drop-out prevention organization helping kids stay in school and graduate. In central Ohio, Communities In Schools’ dedicated and experienced staff work across the district in Columbus and Whitehall City Schools and is an integral part of strategic efforts to improve academic success and graduation rates.
Many children in our community struggle with issues related to poverty, violence, homelessness and substance abuse. These realities come to school with our children and become barriers to academic success. It is impossible for a child to separate the circumstances of life from the learning environment.
Families are struggling to survive and, without support, are often unable to provide an environment that supports academic achievement for their children. Clearly, there is an increased community opportunity and responsibility to address low graduation rates that are mitigated by poverty, school violence, homelessness and substance abuse.
Communities In Schools is finding solutions for the students who need help by developing strategies focused on addressing identified community issues:
1. Low graduation and high dropout rates
2. School violence and behavior
3. The increasing immigrant population
4. Student mobility between schools
5. Access to a healthy lifestyle
For more information about Communities In Schools, please contact Kitty Kerrigan King, Director of Community Relationships, 614.268.2472, firstname.lastname@example.org.